Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on May 04, 2001 at 13:43:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Andy Cattanach on May 04, 2001 at 08:08:45:

A friend of mine was arranging for our marching band when he asked me, "Hey, how far down can you guys play? I want to go down to a low D here...", and he put us down there for the soli, and in future arrangements & compositions _where_appropriate_.

I usually had my section play "by the book" back in school. There were many times where we could've dropped an octave or two, but it wouldn't have been musically relevant because it would: 1) break up the movement of our line; 2) screw with the texture; 3) just wouldn't serve the intent as indicated by the rest of the band; and any number of other reasons, on a case-by-case basis.

As far as whether we have to go with the composer or not is always up to debate, even with myself. We always hear about the outstanding recording of Symphony Number X by the So-and-so Orchestra. Is it "outstanding" because of the execution of the written notes, or whatever interpretation that was added? It's still too subjective, so I won't even argue about it.

Follow Ups: