Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 04, 2001 at 21:46:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Steve Bloom on May 04, 2001 at 21:11:27:

What would happen if one or two people from every section in the band decided to "deviate" from their printed parts because they thought it was fun? The ensemble would soon sound like 45 individuals vamping. In ensembles we are all supposed to be on the same team. If one or two people decide to "deviate" all over themselves because they can, it makes making great music more challenging for everyone else.

I am not saying that I am innocent of ever straying from the printed notes. I have embellished on occasion. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not :( It is just that I have seen it happen way too much in many of the bands I have been in all the way back to High School. It is usually someone who thinks he is a hotshot and is allowed to get away with it. I have seen drummers, trumpeters, tubists, and others entertain themselves at others expense.

I don't like the idea of a first trumpet taking all the last notes of tunes up an octave. It is just silly. Sometimes, silly can be good, but it can also be destructive.

All music has its own challenges. The better music is challenging just to do it justice. The not so good music is challenging in its own right because the musician is entrusted to play it as if it is his favorite tune in the entire world.

Just because you are capable of doing something, doesn't mean it is appropriate.

sean

Follow Ups: