Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Murphy on May 06, 2001 at 11:56:22:

In Reply to: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Austin H. on May 03, 2001 at 17:31:29:

One of the issues that has stemmed from this discussion is musician's interpretation vs. composer's intent. In my own personal opinion (at this stage in my life, anyway), I believe that it is the individual interpretation of a piece of music that makes music so interesting. Why else would we listen to different recordings of the same pieces??? Some we may like, some we may not like, but it is this abillity to interpret and make an old piece of music something new that makes being a musician worthwhile. I'm not saying we should totally ignore the composer's wishes, but if the musician feels that dropping an octave here is appropriate and adds to the flavor of the music, and the conductor (who's interpretation of the music is being given) agrees, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I know I am young still (18), and my opinion may well change in the future, but as of now, this is how I feel.

Follow Ups: