Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 06, 2001 at 12:35:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Bob Daniel on May 06, 2001 at 11:25:17:

Interesting discussion indeed! I didn't realize it was a commissioned work (by your group) and you were reading it for the first time for Ron Nelson. I imagine that the creative process may still have been going, if I understand your explanation correctly, so I can now understand why you would be experimenting at that point. The only point I was trying to make was that some composers just don't have enough knowledge of exactly what a tuba can and cannot do. Like I said, the first thing I consider is if the composer would have known what the tuba could do in the pedal range. If a composer knows this and doesn't write the pedal notes, I then assume it was for a very good reason. In many instances, this solves the debate right away. Having played many of Ron Nelson's pieces, I assume he knows full well what tuba pedal range does and exactly how effective it can be, based on how well his pieces use that range.

I always enjoy working with composers in commission projects. I find it very exciting to watch the creative process take shape and how the composer will make minor changes upon first hearing the fruits of his/her labors. It gives real insight into how this whole process works. Thanks for sharing your story!

Follow Ups: