Re: Re: Re: Re: Walter Nirschl 4/4 vs. Sliver plate 2155

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 06, 2001 at 23:56:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Walter Nirschl 4/4 vs. Sliver plate 2155 posted by Klaus on May 06, 2001 at 18:05:44:

Klaus,

I don't believe the "2000" is identified by Meinl Weston as a 2155-2000. It is a separate model. Even though the bore size and configuration are based on the 2155, the 2000 has some distinct features the 2155 does not have. The 2000 has the 5th valve rotated 90 degrees and the thumb lever is positioned differently. Much better in my opinion (it's like taking hold of a ball, the thumb falls in the correct place naturally). The bell and branches of the 2000 are all hand hammered versus being pulled on a machine. This makes the instrument about 5 pounds lighter than the 2155. The 2000 is always silver plated and has the skyline of Manhattan engraved on 2 of the ferrules.

When I was trying to find a new instrument, I played several instruments: Nirschl 4/4, Hirsbrunner HB-21(?), B&S PT-6, PT-20, PT-4, Kalison DS, Meinl Weston 2155 lacquer and silver plated and the 2000. I found the 2000 to be the best of the bunch for my tastes.
I use the 2000 for orchestra, band, brass quintet, and solo work.

The only way to get the best instrument for you is to play several different horns. Even after selecting the horn, you may have to then find the "right" mouthpiece for it. My 2000 had been passed over by several players at Dillons as not being a "good horn". I, on the other hand, found it to be the best horn I ever laid my hands on. The correct mouthpiece coupled with familiarity of the playing characteristics of the instrument have made all the difference in the world. I started out with a Dillon G5 and, on a whim, tried a Parke mouthpiece. With a bit of modification by adding a larger sleeve to the receiver, the Parke worked wonders and the slight pitch imperfections I experienced just fell into and locked into place.

Hopes this helps.

David Wilson

Follow Ups: