Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Come on Jay....... on May 07, 2001 at 13:54:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Jay Bertolet on May 05, 2001 at 22:35:14:

I think its pretty funny that we are criticizing this kid for playing some pedal notes in planned places that were agreed upon by the director. I suppose next time this kid wants to put pedals in a Tichelli piece he should just ask Jay what he thinks, since he knows Frank's compositional techniques and musical tastes so well. I also think that too many people assumed that this kid just THREW a pedal in here and there, which is not the message I got. Point is, we have all the old people criticizing this practice when if you listen to any ...ANY professional band...military, british brass band...whatever, they all do this. I think if John Cradler got on the BBS and asked if anyone heard his pedal CC at the end of whatever Bach chorale we would all slap him on the back and tell him it was amazing, but because we have a young, inexperienced high school kid why not rip him to shreds and call him an idiot. Why not just assume the pedals the kid played sounded good and congratulate him? Young doesn't always mean Incompetent and old doesn't always mean intelligent. mofwiw

Follow Ups: