Re: Re: St. Petersburg address

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 09, 2001 at 07:23:50:

In Reply to: Re: St. Petersburg address posted by www.tuba.com on May 09, 2001 at 06:06:51:

According to www.tuba.com Frieder is out of stock, tubawise. And the question of a new supply is let open.

By including his mail address Sven tells us, that he is from Sweden, an EU member like Denmark, where I come from. That makes it very expensive to buy Russian tubas via the US. So the TE hardly will be a relevant option in this case.

Only one major carrier, Bax Global, will insure the instrument over the Atlantic. They are good, but for a price. Then there is an entry customs duty and VAT. I have tried this with 3 instruments relevant to this board. I am glad for my instruments, but one should only use this route for instruments, that are unavailable in Europe.

Embassies and consulates often have a commercial export department. So in this case I would contact one of the Russian representations in Stockholm, Göteborg, or maybe even in Malmö.

But getting the tuba from St. Petersburg over the Baltic to Sweden might be the minor problem.

I have tried a St. Pete bought from Frieder. The German made and mounted leverage system was very good.

But where will you get such a system from?

And can you find a qualified repairman to mount it?

The qualified repairmen, who I now here in Denmark, will not touch these Russian tubas, as the risk to damage their fragile structure and tubing is far too high.

My advise would be to search the German net auction marketplace. 4 valve rotary BBb tubas are not uncommon there. If you are uncomfortable in navigating in German, just mail me. Og gerne på svensk! (Which just means that I read Swedish. Even if I find it much harder to pronounce than French. Which I no longer speak).

Klaus

Follow Ups: