Re: Re: Re: Re: Article in TUBA journal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 09, 2001 at 14:44:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Article in TUBA journal posted by bydlo dude on May 09, 2001 at 10:47:08:

I know MANY orchestral tuba players, myself included, who not only don't play the Bydlo on a CC, they don't play it at all. The solo is passed to the trombone section member who will do it on euphonium. I can name at least two of the "greats" who actually had it in their personal contracts that they were not required to play Bydlo at all. I have heard several horror stories of players attempting this solo and crashing and burning. Any orchestral player who has any sense at all will only do this solo if they are at least 100% sure they can pull it off. There aren't too many solos in the orchestral repertoire that I don't have any chance at all of making a mistake on. Too many times I've seen great players let their egos get ahead of their common sense and they paid the price.

As Matt G. posted previously, the overwhelming evidence is that Ravel meant for this solo to be played on a french C tuba, the commonly used instrument of the time. Playing this solo on a modern day CC tuba makes about as much sense as playing the Bach Brandenberg Concerto on a standard Bb trumpet.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: