Re: HELP! I need a euph!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F on May 09, 2001 at 16:01:09:

In Reply to: HELP! I need a euph!!! posted by headsman on May 09, 2001 at 13:32:49:

Scott's recommendation is a good one. Yamaha euphoniums have a good tone and great intonation. Their bore is .591 (and .661 for the compensator side).

I've also noticed the 642S for sale on ebay. I think the seller is in Manchester, England. The two things to remember though is the shipping across the 'big pond' and then you'll have to pay duty on its import. (something I forgot about when getting a Wick mouthpiece from overseas).

I purchased my present horn through ebay, a Yamaha 641S. I've been very happy with my decision. I've also played the 642 which has a slightly bigger bell and a little different angle of the leadpipe. I thought the 642 may have projected a little better (using the same mpc) but not sure.

Besson Sovereign, Besson Prestige (bore .580), Willson 2900 (bore .591) used horns would be great purchases too, but from everything I've read, it's good to get to play these instruments and check out the intonation before you spend the money. Something hard to do through ebay.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Follow Ups: