Re: Re: When did F become Eb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 10, 2001 at 05:54:52:

In Reply to: Re: When did F become Eb? posted by Joe S. on May 10, 2001 at 01:36:41:

Any of the history I have read agrees with the basic timeline that you have presented. I think that the ophicleide was first replaced by bass or contrabass Saxhorns before real "tubas" were used. The only difference that I can tell between tubas and saxhorns is the taper of the bore. Interestingly enough, ophicleides were still made into the 1930s, so the replacement was gradual, although I think that the ophicleides made in this time frame were probably only used by some curmudgeons(sp?) who didn't want to change traditions.

I think that helicons were generally displaced by sousaphones. Ironically the reason that the first sousaphones were made was so that the sound would be less directional than with helicons, therefore the raincatcher bell. Now you can't even buy a raincatcher (new that is). Even with helicons, at least one company, Cerveny, still makes them. I wonder how many they sell and where there are primarily used? I have never seen a new one used in any ensemble, other than maybe TubaChristmas, here in the US.

Follow Ups: