Re: Epiphany!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 11, 2001 at 07:06:43:

In Reply to: Epiphany!!!!! posted by Todd on May 10, 2001 at 18:27:33:

Your points are well taken.
The Shilke HII was designed with the York in mind and is not a very big mouthpiece.
Also, Floyd Cooley plays on the Nirscl and his other big horns with a "skeletonized" Conn 7B, he uses that to do exactly what you mention, to add color to the sound.
I think that many of us are used to big mouthpieces which work well on German Rotory horns and try to transfer this to the big "American" style tubas. These horns can be so big that we need a mouthpiece to temper the bigness of the horn. Don't get me wrong, guys like Gene Pokorny use a Dillon M1C, which is darn big with high degres of success. I personaly find myself falling into this mouthpiece in the middle/lower register.
Mainly, depending on your own overtone series (they vary from person to person) the selection of moutpieces can vary greatly from person to person for the best mouthpiece to horn match.
In regards to the gap, I remember Matt Walters saying that the mouthpiece sitting farther into the horn helps the low register in terms of cleanliness and focus, the higher out that it sits the better the slots are in the upper register, but I may be wrong.
Matt G

Follow Ups: