Re: Meinl-Weston 25

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on May 12, 2001 at 15:40:02:

In Reply to: Meinl-Weston 25 posted by Emily Fogg on May 12, 2001 at 14:22:07:

Emily,

There will be many differing opinions regarding the "best" BBb tuba. BBb tubas that are traditionally thought of as being good include the MW 25, the Miraphone 186, B&S tubas, Hirshbrunner, Willson, etc.

Here's the scoop on stores: The Woodwind and Brasswind (Indiana), Brookmays (Dallas), Dillon (N.J.), Baltimore Brass, and others sell most of their instruments at significant discounts. Those who don't know about these stores, sadly, pay way too much for a tuba. All of the stores I just mentioned are very reputable places to do business. I apologize to any other proprieters on the list that I've ommitted, as I'm sure there are other competetive, reputable shops out there. The ones cited above are from personal knowledge.

Other advice: There is a strong bias (I'm saying this without malice) in the US towards tubas pitched in the key of CC instead of BBb for professional musicians, musicians in music school, etc. Depending on your intended future, this might be a good time to consider a switch to CC tuba. Now, there's not a compelling reason (that I've heard) that a good quality BBb tuba couldn't do everything you need it to do. And I don't own a CC tuba myself. But there's a good chance that if you're heading to a music school, intending to be a music major, that you should consider a CC tuba. Contact your future professor for advice. Now, if you're planning on being an electrical engineer (an excellent choice, IMO), and playing in the university's concert band, then BBb may be fine. If that scenario fits, then:

Which BBb should you consider? The MW25 has a good reputation as a nice, dark-sounding, capable BBb tuba. The Miraphone 186 is usually considered one of the best "in-tune" instruments available, but sounds a little "brighter" in tone. (I've played both of these tubas in the past -- they're both good horns.) These two instruments have rotary valves, and a little more focused (known as the "German" sound or concept) than some older American designed tubas. Both of these horns can be purchased for under $4000, plus case. If you've got twice as much money to spend, the new Willson BBb tuba is considered by many to be an amazingly big, powerful, wonderful 5/4 size instrument. It's expensive, and it's big. It may be bigger than you need. But it's considered a high-quality instrument towards the high-price-end of the spectrum. Hirshbrunner tubas are also considered very high quality, and I believe are also fairly expensive -- maybe even more than the Willson, I don't know.

For a broader sounding tuba than the MW 25 or the Miraphone 186, you could consider the new King 2341 (which is considered by some to be more of a high-end intermediate quality instrument than a professional quality one -- but I'm going to give it a good audition as soon as I get the chance), or the Miraphone 191. These two tubas have a larger bell, a more expansive voice. The King has a more modest bore -- the Miraphone 191 has a fairly large bore, and takes more air than the 186 model. The King (not quite yet available) will cost around $3800 from Brookmays, and is a pistion valved instrument. The 191 is a rotary valved horn, and costs around $4400, I think. There's also the VMI 3301, which may have a sound somewhere between the 186/MW 25 and the 191. It's a piston valved instrument and also costs just under $4000 (all prices do NOT include a case).

For a college horn, I would NOT recommend the MW 18. IMO, this is a good choice for a middle school band (smaller musicians), or for a quintet setting, where a more compact (smaller) sound is required. I haven't played the MW 18, but from reading this list, and the MW18 specs, I suspect it's not as capable as what you might want in a college-level instrument. Now, if you are 5'1" tall, then I would tailor my advice differently -- some musicians may need to choose a slightly smaller instrument.

Those are my opinions. I believe they're fairly accurate. But, the nice thing about this list is that someone will correct me if I've strayed too far from reality.

Follow Ups: