Burr under my...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on May 12, 2001 at 21:37:07:

backplate

As my valves were enjoying their semi-annual vinegar bath, I read Rick's post about the trip to Dillon's and the difference that the small adjustments made in the response of his horn. Since that was freshly in my mind as I re-assembled my horn later, I noticed something for the first time. My valves (rotarys) seem to have some rough spots and burrs on the them. Like where the air would be flowing. The most noticable of these is between 1/64" and 1/32" ridge on the edge of the fourth valve. The response of my fourth valve has always been a sore spot for me. Also the low register utilizing the 4th has always been MUCH stuffier than the rest of my horn. Does this represent a cause and effect relationship? Have I experienced an epiphany? Can I stop planning my low G's a week in advance?

If I get a pro to smooth out the edges of my valves, will I likely see an improvement?

For reference, I'm talking about a 4V CC Cerveny piggy. (.835 bore) Any of you other piggy herders have the same response issues with yours?

Thanks...

Follow Ups: