Re: I'm shocked!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Bloom on May 13, 2001 at 20:38:47:

In Reply to: I'm shocked! posted by Mark F. on May 13, 2001 at 08:34:35:

I wasn't going to comment, but since I own an original J.W. York, here is my opinion on this topic...

First, the value of the instrument is in the eyes of the purchaser. The problem with these old classic instruments is, there isn't enough record of similar sales to come up with a "benchmark" price. Since Yorks aren't make any longer, and this was a BBb which is a rarity among old J.W. York tubas, the final price was determined by whomever felt it was worth TO THEM. Sure, my York doesn't play as well as the new Bessons or the MW 2141, or the Willson, but I paid $400 for it and it had no holes, patches, or cracks and I've had it completely restored for $1,500. The Yorks have an entirely different personality that no other company can duplicate.

Second, the instrument appeared to be in overall very good condition. I, too, looked at the photos over and over again, but unfortunately the seller seemed to either know little about tubas or was playing an excruciating and tantalizing mind game. It is virtually identical in every respect to my Eb except for the height and tubing in the rear. It even has the pigtail loop in the tuning slide to compensate for variations in "concert pitch" at the time.

Finally, I cringe at the idea of "cutting" the instrument to be something it wasn't designed to be. The value of these old Yorks was not so much in their brass formulation, bore, taper, or bell size, but the absolute art in how the engineers could assemble such an incredible instrument without regard to computers, holographs, chemical analyses of brass content, and digital sampling. The science of the craft has fallen short, because too many over the years have tried to replicate the York sound and response using space age means, all without achieving the same level of success. I say, leave the horns alone. There are precious too few of the original Yorks left, so please let them remain as they were, for future generations, as an example of the long lost brass craftsman's art.

My opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Follow Ups: