Re: Re: Re: Need advice from tuba teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on May 14, 2001 at 19:23:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Need advice from tuba teachers posted by Mr T on May 14, 2001 at 18:18:22:

wow....that's a nice group!

For that budget range, you could get two tubas!

Jupiter 582L's are great horns for the money. The sound is good, but not as interesting as some other choices. The Miraphone S186 with a hard case would fit into your price range. The sound would be more interesting, and distinctive. The Meinl Weston 25 would also be a good choice....very well built. The VMI 2103 is another choice that could get you two horns for the budget $, but with no cases...not a good idea!

Those are the standard choices. I think if you have a parent group that is willing to invest in your music program, then you should get something that will stand the test of time but will also be as close to a pro quality instrument as possible. There are two horns that I think are closest to this. The VMI 3301 and the Miraphone 191. Either horn would be fine. The VMI is pistons and the Mirpahone is rotary. Both are compact, so even if a smaller student needed to play the horn, it wouldn't be a problem. The larger bells on both horns will make it easy for students to get a big warm sound with less effort than the longer bell instruments. I think the VMI would hold up really well in a school, too.

I hope this helps! Hell, I just hope this makes sense....i'm trying to chat with three people while I'm typing this!!!!!

Take care all!

mike russo
Brasswind
(800) 348-5003 ext. 2266

Follow Ups: