Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on May 15, 2001 at 08:39:39:

In Reply to: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 20:13:49:

I am growing ashamed that we have blown this thing a little out of proportion.

It is this simple:
If you can play it and make it sound beautiful ON WHATEVER TYPE OF TUBA YOU PLAY, then you should play the solo. On the other hand if there is any question about the INTEGRITY OF THE MUSIC BEING COMPROMISED by you choosing to perform an excerpt that is out of your comfort zone, then you need to request that one of your colleagues cover the solo on your behalf. And you need to do it in time for your colleague to properly prepare to play it (just because they play trombone doesn't mean that they will feel comfortable performing on euphonium without a few weeks to get comfortable with it). I have never heard of anyone being disciplined by any organization for passing on the Bydlo solo. Furthermore, I have never heard of any tuba player being scolded by his fellow orchestra members for passing on the Bydlo solo.

My point is that we as tuba players are the only people in the world who would cheapen a good performance by commenting as to whether the solo were wisely played or wisely passed on. Tisk, Tisk.... That is so petty.

Get a grip!

Mark McMahon

Follow Ups: