Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by more of the same on May 15, 2001 at 14:21:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo: Musicianship vs. Masculinity ? posted by Rick Denney on May 15, 2001 at 13:23:01:

This gets so much attention because it is one of the most prominent solos anywhere in the literature and one of the nastiest to play.

I still must disagree with much of what's been said in this thread. If (and it's a BIG if) you can play the Bydlo musically on a big horn, if your conductor likes the sound, and if you can do it consistently, then play it like you want to. If you can play it musically while doubling on another instrument, then do it. What's in the interest of the ensemble is often in the eye of the beholder.

On the opposite end, ego can blind any musician to flaws in his performance. You should always be open to criticism (constructive, at least) on music that is so exposed and difficult and be willing to adjust for the good of the group (which is, again, often in the eye of the beholder).

However, I have practiced the Big B on BBb, CC, and F tubas and euphonium, and I can play it musically on all of them. Frankly, I think I sound the best on a 4/4 BBb. So long as I can do that, I'll play the solo when called upon, and I won't hand it off because someone who doesn't know me or the others in my orchestra thinks their theories are more important than what I know.

Follow Ups: