Re: Starting lessons with a young tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on May 19, 2001 at 11:59:28:

In Reply to: Starting lessons with a young tuba posted by Justin on May 19, 2001 at 11:06:53:

Hello,

The thing that I find most effective is letting the student listen to examples of what you want them to sound like. Sometimes students play a little under the pitch because they do not have a a real idea of what is expected of them.

I would also advise trying some support exercises. Have the student play a note for four counts as loud as they can with a consistent sound. Rest for four counts. Blow for six counts. Rest for for counts. Keep doing this until they can keep a steady sound for at least sixteen counts. This will inevitably help their sound as they get used to supporting the sound at different dynamic levels for different lengths.

If you are, or know of, a decent tuba player, have them play through some long tones and slow exercises with your student. Have them try to match their the sound. Students that tend to listen well to players around them, can many times pick up little tricks just by playing with someone that has a good sound. I was amazed how much better my sound got just by playing through things with my instructor. He would then have me play them by myself. My sound got better almost immediately.

I hope this helps.

Sean D.

Follow Ups: