Re: San Francisco Youth Orchestra Concert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ace on May 21, 2001 at 14:59:56:

In Reply to: San Francisco Youth Orchestra Concert posted by Brent Herhold on May 21, 2001 at 12:07:08:

Brent,

Thanks for your enthusiastic post. Being a SF Bay area resident, I share your pride in the outstanding SFYO.

Last year, I played in two local orchestras that featured the principal cellist of the SFYO. She played the cello concertos of Dvorak and of Elgar. Sixteen yrs old, she smoked the pieces----what an astonishing musician.

Yesterday, I attended the concert of the California Youth Symphony which was held in San Mateo, just a few miles down the peninsula from SF. It is another group of wonderful young people performing at musical levels almost unheard of years ago. I especially enjoyed Jacob's Trombone Concerto played by a young lady (18?). What command of the instrument!

There are many youth orchestras performing in various parts of the U.S. (and in Europe and Asia), all at very high levels of musicianship. Young instrumentalists are getting better and better, and it is a great joy to hear them play.

Follow Ups: