Re: Tuning Slide Alignment...needed or not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F on May 21, 2001 at 22:57:18:

In Reply to: Tuning Slide Alignment...needed or not? posted by Scott F. on May 21, 2001 at 21:03:36:

Hi Scott,

Is this Scott who modified a YEP-321 with a large mpc receiver, and turned it into a horn that sounds like 642? I thought so.

On my YEP-641 I use Selmer's slide and cork grease... the pink sticky stuff. If you get it on your fingers, it's difficult to wipe off. You need soap and water. When removing from the slides, I use either mineral spirits to wipe the slide, or Alisyn spray cleaner. Anyway, the way the brass tech told me to lube all slides takes a little time. I used to spread it on the whole slide with my finger, and zip it in. The correct way... which makes the lube last for at least a month on all my slides, is I draw a line on one side of the slide and insert that one side while turning and go back and forth in an oval motion and eventually all the way in. When you don't hear any metal against metal that side is done. It takes a couple of minutes, and sometimes I add a little more Selmer's. Then I repeat with the other side. The lube just works back and forth until it's spread out in all the right places. If any shows up on the outside when I've finished, I just wipe the excess off with a rag or kleenex.

I would try Selmer's slide grease, and this method before spending time and money checking the slide alignment. Who knows, maybe you're already using this method, but when I started lubricating my slides this way, the lube lasted MUCH longer.

I would think that if your slide alignment was off, you would see moisture dripping outside of the slide at times. Does that occur?

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Follow Ups: