Re: Drug testing at Auditions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on May 22, 2001 at 13:46:31:

In Reply to: Drug testing at Auditions? posted by Neil MacQuarrie on May 22, 2001 at 11:23:25:

Considering the ramifications, I don't think that The Powers That Be will be too hasty in letting that legal genie out of the bottle. Where does it stop? With symphony musicians? How about making it a requisite for a recording contract? How about expanding it to all performing artists and all drugs? Now you have the legal weight of the AF of M, AFTRA, SAG, the AFL-CIO, the ACLU, and all of the other organizations that support the other performing artists coming to bear. Those organizations have a vested interest in keeping the illicit drugs at bay. But if legally prescribed drugs become targeted, I suspect that substantial portions of their legal war chests would be turned loose to fight the lawsuits that would fly like shrapnel.

Is it really that important to me, Mr/Ms. Audition Organizer, that this performer is using a drug prescribed by his/her doctor for a medicaly recognized condition? And as a "competitor", I want anyone to have the right to play to the best of their ability. Denying them that right cheapens any success that I might have. If I win, I want to win against the best someone can do, not against someone who was prevented from doing their best by outside forces.

Steve

Follow Ups: