Re: Re: Drug testing at Auditions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil: my logic on May 22, 2001 at 16:46:59:

In Reply to: Re: Drug testing at Auditions? posted by Paranoid on May 22, 2001 at 13:55:24:

That was Silken Laumann, many times gold medalist in rowing. I had thought about her.

Here's more of my prespective: an orchestra is as much a business as a medium for art. If it wern't, then there wouldn't be strikes and lack of funds, not would musicians be paid. We provide, primarily, a service to the public. correct? Traditionally, employers look for the best person to fill the position, as poor completion of a task could potentially harm a business' success. It seems it would follow that an auditioning orchestra would be in search of the best player for the chair. All else being equal(!), would not the best choice be the one who would have the least amount of variables in his playing. The player, as good as s/he may be, who is dependant on a beta blocker (legal or not) has an extra variable. One other factor that may, should things go wrong (i.e. forgot pills at home) may prevent them from being able to deliver the service s/he was hired to provide?

However, deciding whether or not to drug test is a very precarious balance. Should such drug testing ever be instated, one can only imagine how the public ( the majority of whom would have been oblivious to the fact) would react, how would it effect the orchestra and their "business"

so you see, my intent in posing such a question was not to devalue those who use beta blockers, nor to demonstrate any paranoia I seem to have been diagnosed with, nor even as a gripe about olympic style fairness in competition. I am curious as to how the growing dependence on a drug (legal or otherwise) to complete a job will effect the business we all aspire to thrive in.

Neil M

Follow Ups: