Re: Re: Re: Raising a family while being a musician

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by my input... on May 23, 2001 at 08:49:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Raising a family while being a musician posted by Matt on May 23, 2001 at 08:12:06:

i was also very close to getting married to another musician. however, his type of music was completely different from mine. (I'm classically oriented, and this was more of a popular type jazz / fusion idiom.) I have nowhere near the musical success he does... he gets session calls often, has recorded albums, and makes at least some money in the process. What is killing us is the distance and no time spent together factor. Sometimes I get jealous of his success, but I realize it is in a different hemisphere of music. I want that kind of success for myself in my own realm. I'm not demanding on his time, but being musicians both of us have no time to put to a relationship. When we were in school and thus living together, things were easier because at least there was the little bit of downtime at home. Now that we are both seeking our own pursuits and careers, there is no time for that. Neither of us has time to drive an hour and a half enough. So while we've tried to make it work, some things were just not possible. We were together 5 1/2 years though, and it was a good thing while it lasted in terms of us supporting each other's careers.
One positive I always enjoyed was that he understood my passion for what I do. Two musicians can share a deeper understanding of what the love of music is. Bottom line, don't be discouraged. There are positives and negatives, as with any relationship.

Follow Ups: