Re: Re: Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 24, 2001 at 05:38:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js posted by duh back on May 23, 2001 at 23:58:52:

Oh, I dunno. I've seen an Alexander 163, in both CC and BBb, up close, and it is really no bigger than my 4/4 Miraphone 186. Most recently, at TubaChristmas, I saw both an Alex and a Rudy Meinl 4/4 in close proximity to a Conn 21J. It's positively dwarfed by the 6/4 monsters...

...until the music begins.

Seems to me the American BAT fell somewhat out of favor when Roger Bobo was King Daddy of the tuba world, and setting the standard that everyone wanted to follow. Miraphones combined his endorsement with with a durably made instrument that was easy to play, and did so in tune, that was well-marketed to schools. Conn (UMI) lost its interest in serious players, and when schools stopped buying BAT's, their market vanished. They still sold quite a few smaller instruments for younger players, and the 4/4 King was able to compete with the Miraphone and so they have continued to produce that instrument.

In the last few years, that sort of instrument has grown in popularity with adult players, tracking the decline of the rotary tuba. But that is too little market resurgence, too late, for a profit-oriented company like UMI. They now seem to be realizing that having a respected pro line helps school sales, though the G-50 didn't do much for Getzen.

Rick "Alexanders only sound big" Denney

Follow Ups: