Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone 191

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 28, 2001 at 14:40:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone 191 posted by Mark F. on May 28, 2001 at 14:16:33:

Repeating myself:

I am only into piston tubas. While I waited for the delivery of my Sovereign 981, I loaned a 7xx Eb, which apart from the leadpipe, the comp valve system, and the less generous branch and bow guards is the same instrument.

In a telephonic contact with B&H I asked why the 7xx had a number of notes, most notably the topline Ab, that were hysterically over-responsive, while this not was the case with the 981. The answer was that the added weight and the increased rigidity, which the longer pistons and the larger number of soldered connections provide to the 981 are strong factors in controlling the response of that tuba.

And then I also add a mouthpiece weight (booster) of about 100 grams to the shank of my PT-50.

My personal theory of adding weight to a tuba is not that it boosts anything. Rather I think, that it acts as a string type Wolfnote killer. All the odd and out off tune overtones are killed because they are not carried by sufficent amounts to overcome this damping weight. Hence they can not blurr the sound emerging from the bell.

But beware: This added weight trick leaves you without even smallest cloud of acoustical dust to hide bad playing behind!

Conclusion: Weigth is a factor in piston instruments as well!

Flame along!

Klaus

PS: My Conns and my York have put the weigth in the brass tubing.

Follow Ups: