Re: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on June 02, 2001 at 12:01:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Best tuba for low range posted by Frederick J. Young on June 02, 2001 at 11:31:08:

Dr. Young,

I appreciate theory and concept and how clear-thinking can improve practice. Still,
I am at a loss as to how slide-pulling in a practice room exercise in any way devalues the demonstration of a "never-needed-in-the-real-world-of-performance" technique. Maybe I will get a deserved and hearty ad hominum rebuttal from our more experienced listers, but I care not for the justification here. Why not? 1) Because it is so far removed from my personal real-world demands, and 2) Because I don't see a lot of fault with slide pulling. Its a "so what" issue in my mind.

Now that said, my teacher would be the first to chastise me for NOT chasing techical exercise facility of the level you described, and even as something of "an equipment geek"...neither bothers me much ('specially since he's "into" equipment as well.) The differences between me and he (apart from ability, accomplishment, and general nice-guy public regard) are that my teacher as a professional places high priority on what his equipment enables him to do in his work, as well as upon constantly driving his technical capabilities. In addition to all those other differences, he simply has to! I simply place some priority on what I use in a part-time evenings-time avocation, and struggle to gain enough practice time to fool myself into thinking I am improving. In a manner of speaking, his mortgage payment depends on these things, while mine does not.

Now what does this have to with 2-3 octaves of triplet-ed 16th notes with no slide pulls at the bottom end of the money range of a contrabass tuba? As far as I am concerned, not a damn thing!

Some folks in some worlds simply do not want to understand another perspective, regardless of how much effort is put into trying to communicate it. Others out of habit or instinct invest time and energy into trying to fathom whats expressed, sometimes regardless of their level of respect for the sources. Either way, the topic seems worth little else typing on my part, so I'll stop now.

dp

Follow Ups: