mono and tuba playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tired tuba player on May 02, 2002 at 16:37:32:

Has anyone out there ever had mono while in a position where you must do a lot of playing? I am finishing my degree right now, and i have about a month of school left. (A very heavy month at that, but recital is over!) I have had mono 3 times in my life of 25 years, and this will be the fourth! Here's where my questions arise... physical activity is to be avoided due to the spleen being vulnerable to rupture because of the characteristics of the virus... the doctor's instructions are to avoid exercise and physical activity of any kind for 3 -4 weeks. Now I know this means running is out, but can tuba playing be defined as "physical activity" due to the nature of intense breathing, weight of the instrument, etc.? I am praying that I can at least maintain my playing by cutting down to a couple of hours a day, even if it is "lightweight" stuff as opposed to heavy "workout" material. swollen glands are not conducive to great quality playing, but it is one of those things I figure I have to fight because playing is my life right now. any playing is good playing at this point.
Anyone else have experience with this?
Thanks so much!

Follow Ups: