Re: Questions about 6/4's and cuts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 02, 2002 at 23:06:06:

In Reply to: Questions about 6/4's and cuts posted by Andy Smith on May 02, 2002 at 21:46:38:

1) I don't know if anyone has tried to cut a 25J, but I can think of two reasons why people wouldn't bother:
- Top action valves
- Detachable bell.
I don't think that most people would want a top action CC, and it would make adding a 5th valve difficult. Also, most people would want to cut that big 24" bell down, which is another expense. There are tons of 2Xjs out there and I have seen many sell for $500 or less, expecially without a bell. If you start with this body, add a fixed bell from something like a MW 2165, and find an old 4 valve front action valve section you might have something. Even so, you're talking about some expense for something that might have questionable results.

2) I think that the large Martins might be good candidates, but they are relatively rare and unless it was really in pieces might still be more than you want to spend. You might want to talk to Matt about the big Holton BBb at Dillons that he put a MW upright bell on. With the new bell it plays in B natural, so it's already almost a CC. They won't give it away, but it might be a way to get a good large horn to work on, if he still has it.

3) Yes...(only kidding). If you have someone experienced to work with it could be a good learning experience.

Good Luck

Follow Ups: