Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALABAMA SYMPHONY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ... on May 07, 2002 at 21:25:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALABAMA SYMPHONY posted by sheesh and dp on May 07, 2002 at 17:53:52:

To reply:

1. "I do not live off of your dollars, I live off of my hard work."

You claim obliquely to work for NASA. If this is true, and you choose to take the position that your hand is one of “the hands of those who (in part) feed them” (your own words, mind you), then you must allow one of the groveling masses to point out to you that your work is paid for by every one of here - WAY more so than my job.

I very clearly stated that the NEA does NOT support my job - that I receive less government money than you. (Please read ALL of the post prior to flaming...) Your cheap shot earlier about the "hand that feeds" is way out of line. Remember, both you and I earn all of our money in return for our work. But claiming that your hand feeds me when your money came (in part) FROM me is not very generous. In fact, your attitude towards buying the product of a Symphony Orchestra seems to be one of selfish altruism. Do you support the arts for the sake of the art or the thanks that you get? Do you live life through the music, or live vicariously through the players on stage? While I will not venture a guess as to your motives, the latter is what is peeking through your posts today.

2. "Just because you think the majority of the wealthy have no sense of philanthropy doesn't make it so."

Never, ever did I say that. I said that MANY do not choose to support, just as MANY quite poor families choose TO support the arts. I said this in response to your crack that ran “We who have decent-paying jobs, after all, are the ones who support the arts with part of our paychecks!” From where, then, did you extrapolate that I feel (as you say) “that the majority of the wealthy have no sense of philanthropy?” Sorry, niether did I imply nor did I write that.

And the Marx quote was not lost on me. I live it each day, as do we all to one extent or another. And yea for you, being able to quote something. Here is a good quote for you. You should recognize it, as they are a shining example of your posts here:

(Edited) “C_____ you really are a dumb fuck - posting shill questions and trolling for a chance to snipe at someone....the advice you so soundly stepped up to criticize is far more legit than your useless years of experience....why don't you just go fuck off and die?” (please see link below)

Very nice. And you say that I am the one that needs help? Oh dear...

In an aside, I am also angry at the person that bragged about his $90,000 a year job while looking down his nose at musicians for our attitudes and maturity level, then dismissing what we do as being mere “entertainment”. Then he tries to claim that he supposedly had an Orchestra job and quit it due to these traits. (This shallow view of orchestral music being only entertainment is probably why this guy gave up and quit: he just didn't get it.)

Well, it sounds like (if he really had an actual gig that paid all of his bills) that he couldn’t hack it and ran back to the “tough real world”. Let me tell you something - we ALL live in the real world, musicians too.

So now this guy comes on this BBS to regale us with tales of his immense wealth and and how we all tire him.

Hey, Buddy! I have a solution to your problem...forget about the tuba and music in general. We are far beneath you and your glorious wallet. You will be much happier if you let your dream quietly die and just move on. If you’re such a burnout, why do you come here at all? Is it to get some sort of reassurance that you really did do the right thing by walking away? Well: you did.

Our so-called “maturity level” is in large part due to a feeling of helplessness in our jobs; a feeling of not having any control of our own lives. (This is documented in an excellent study sponsored by the Symphony Orchestra Institute in its periodical “Harmony” and I would be glad to provide him with a copy if he would like some insight into our “childishness”.

I am truly glad that his needs in life are fulfilled with his $90K salary (this information posted on this BBS with a taxpayer-funded computer and on taxpayer time, no less...). I am really glad that he felt the need to give us this information; that says a lot about his post.

One poster wanted him to establish his bona fides, since he claims to speak from the “inside” of our profession. I too would like to hear about his job in music: where and when did he play?

When Joe took him to task with his tongue in his cheek post, you went off the deep end and attacked him. You have a long history of this (including the use of some really choice swear words) on this BBS. (Please see the quote above or link below for a good example.)

3. “I suggest you take your hard-earned dollars and go talk to a professional, sounds like you need it - but would be too proud to go to a free clinic.”

So why do you feel it necessary to tell me that I need help or medication? What makes you think that I am too proud to accept help from a free clinic? Because I disagree with you, that I even DARE to contradict you? Well, your posts (as always) speak volumes about you.

Have a nice day.

Follow Ups: