Re: Re: Re: Frozen valves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 08, 2002 at 00:19:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Frozen valves posted by DRS on May 07, 2002 at 06:33:11:

Everything's possible - but the instrument I play a lot (which I bought "nearly new") has been subjected to my "rotate during insertion" method, and those valves are wonderful. The sticky valve is on an instrument that I bought used and don't play very often. The valves were fine when I bought it - but one valve in particular tends to freeze up after a week of sitting in the case.

I've seen these warnings against "strange wear patterns", but they don't make sense to me, based on what little I know of mettalurgy and geometry.

I suspect that the Ferree's warning *primarily* refers to making sure the piston is aligned with the axis of the casing, and not so much to rotational alignment. There's also the issue (which I mentioned) of being careful not to damage the valve guide and tacquet.

A distinguished repair-type who frequents the list listened patiently to this question at the last USABTEC, and said that he had no problems with it.

So...I guess "opinion is mixed". While we're sorting that out, does anyone have advice on home remedies for the severely sticking valve on the baritone horn? This is a horn that I'm willing to experiment on.

Follow Ups: