Re: Question for the Professionally employed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on May 08, 2002 at 05:49:14:

In Reply to: Question for the Professionally employed posted by College Kid on May 08, 2002 at 00:13:58:

I too have been in your situation--when you feel like you are simply permanently professionally frustrated. The human psyche just cant take constant work without any real tangible success. I mean, YOU know you're getting better. Your teachers know, BUT, if you don't get the gig, does it matter? Of course it does!!

Ever think of making your goals smaller? I think too many players (or professionals in ANY field) set one goal for the "big time" and forget about all of the possibilities in between. Me, being a euphoniumist, I had to think of military bands. So, "big time" is what--maybe one of eight bands? So, #1, gigs dont come up that often, and #2--when they do, you gotta be ready!

No need to make the story too long, so basically I had two premier military auditions last year. The first sucked--totally blew it, because I wanted it SOO badly! Then I decided to take a job with a VERY GOOD "regular" Army Band (Continental Army Band--Ft. Monroe, VA). I don't really think of it as me "lowering my standards" as I do looking at other great playing opportunities that are often overlooked. SO, I then had the beginnings of a military music career, and was very happy. But, before I went to Basic, I had one more premier audition, that I thought I'd take just for the heck of it--ya know, it would be fun! That was my attitude through the whole day of auditioning, and somehow, I got the job. I really wasnt any better or worse than I was when I took my first premier band audition, just in a totally different mindset. I had no plans of winning, and really (I mean it!) didnt care if I did. That mental attitude really improved my "audition playing" the second time around...

Figure out why you are making mistakes, especially in "real-life" situations--auditions, recitals, etc. Is it any different than what you do in the practice room?? For most people it is, and those problems are %100 mental. You and your teachers know you are capable of great playing, it is simply making it the norm and putting that playing into use during practical situations.

Ohh, and fact is, you should always sound BAD in the practice room. Once you start sounding good, pick up something else that makes you sound bad!! The only time you should really sound good is a few weeks before a performance/audition!

Dean

Follow Ups: