Re: What to do with a 20J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 08, 2002 at 14:53:27:

In Reply to: What to do with a 20J posted by Rick Denney on May 08, 2002 at 13:58:30:

Matt mentioned that a Meinl_Weston 2165 bell would work with this, but to buy one new WILL cost more than you paid for the tuba. On the other hand, I paid slightly more than you paid for the tuba for an original Conn upright bell. Using this assumes that you replace the entire bell, making it a fixed upright, or pay even more to cut the M-W bell to fit into the existing bell collar. I also know of people who have made an upright bell from the existing recording bell with a little surgery. This is made easier because of the 2 piece design. That would probably be the least expensive solution. Email me if you want the name of the person who told me they'd done this.

I find that it's relatively easy to use two hands to screw the valve caps back on. I just reach around front with one arm, so that I can hold the horn and still reach the valves, and then screw it on with my right hand from the back. For the 22J I lay it down on my lap to do the valves, which is even easier.

Follow Ups: