Re: Question for the Professionally employed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 09, 2002 at 07:31:22:

In Reply to: Question for the Professionally employed posted by College Kid on May 08, 2002 at 00:13:58:

I would think that just about every serious performance major who is about to finish college without a gig has thought those exact same thoughts. I know i did.

Leaving school after being a student for 16-20 years is a shock. It took me about 2-3 years to get used to not baseing my sense of time on the semester system. Now, August is just another month in the year and not the start of school.

Another point is to try to separate the musician from the person. Not finding immediate success in your chosen profession doesn't make you less worthy. You can still continue to be a great person working a different job. Doesn't mean giving up on music. It just means being practical. After I left school, actually about 3 years afterwards, I finally started to appreciate music for some of the same reasons I did when I was in Jr. High. Because it was fun and an escape from the daily grind. When you are a music student, the daily grind is music and practicing doesn't always do a good job as an escape tool. When I was in college mountain biking was my escape from music.

When you reach a place that music becomes truly fun again, instead of simply a homework assignment, then the motivation will follow. You will always be more successful at tasks you love.

sean

Follow Ups: