Re: Standing while playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on May 09, 2002 at 08:30:00:

In Reply to: Standing while playing? posted by Zach on May 08, 2002 at 16:52:42:

I did a lot of research on devices to use while standing and playing. You can search the archives, using words like "standing." Konig & Meyer (K & M) have a playing stand that is taller than the DEG even with its extension, and many say it is stronger. Maker sure you get the tallest playing stand K & M makes (there may be 2 versions, one shorter than the other). Also, do not get the stand to merely hold the tuba while not playing. I have 2 Wenger Tuba Tamers and they are not tall enough to use while standing. Perhaps Sumner Erickson did modify one. Once I emailed him through his website but got no reply as to how he modified it. I would like to modify one of mine to play while standing. Another option is the Meinl-Weston Harness/strap, which is excellent and distributes the weight on 2 shoulders unlike most straps. I would like to buy one used if anyone has one. Also, it puts some weight below the waist by a kind of belt so that breathing is not so impaired. There used to be a tuba playing stand called the Weightlifter, but it is now defunct, and there were mixed reactions. One guy soldered an attachment onto the tuba so it would screw into a good camera stand. A sensible recommendation is to buy an aluminum speaker stand and put a bowl or other kind of tuba stand on it. I bought a wooden stand for a plant, but the problem is, it is not adjustable. There is a good item called a Tuba Assist, made for sitting, which could be used, perhaps, with a wooden plant stand. Many people recommend a tall bar stool.
If you find how Sumner Erickson modified his Wenger, please let me know, or if someone has a used Meinl Weston Harness strap. Good luck. bill

Follow Ups: