Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My new King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 09, 2002 at 15:42:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My new King 2341 posted by Buy one on May 09, 2002 at 14:47:13:

No, they are no longer made. They were made by Boehm and Meinl from sometime after WWII until about 1970, and imported with the York Master label by the Carl Fischer company, who had acquired York after the war. Carl Fischer closed York down and sold the label in 1971. Boehm and Meinl made horns under their own label and under the Marzan label that are similar, though according to one knowledgeable source the Marzan instruments used much thinner brass in the bell. They seem to work better in BBb than in CC, though exceptions exist there, too.

I'm quite happy about the fact that they are no longer made. With them being scarce, I can say anything I want about mine, and create the notion that it is the all-time pinnacle of BBb tubas. If there were lots of them around, all my carefully built BS would be dashed by too many definite examples.

We heard during a previous discussion of this topic that Walter Nirschl still has the old Boehm and Meinl tooling, and will make an instrument similar to the York Master/Marzan/B&M on special order.

I have some pictures of my York Master with other tubas at the link below, if you are curious.

Rick "whose Miraphone, on the other hand, is anything but unique" Denney

Follow Ups: