Re: Re: Question: piston or rotary valves?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(K) on May 14, 2002 at 14:55:44:

In Reply to: Re: Question: piston or rotary valves? posted by Chuck(G) on May 14, 2002 at 13:19:05:

>I conjecture that this aspect of piston valves can result in a more free-blowing aspect than rotaries when valves are brought into play.

I would figure that this characteristic of piston valves versus rotary valves has resulted in the tendency of rotary valved tubas to have a larger bore through the valve section. In my opinion, rotary valves seem as though they would give greater flexibility for bore size, seeing as the valve ports on pistons determine what the throw is going to be on the valves. Rotors are going to turn 90 degrees, no matter what. You can adjust the throw of rotors by moving the fulcrum of the lever/adjusting the lengths of the paddles, etc.

but, of course, I've played very stuffy tubas with pisons & rotors, as well as very open tubas with pistons & rotors. I'm very happy with the equipment I've got, though it's fun to talk about all this stuff!

I still don't know how Roger Bobo sounded so amazingly huge on his Mirafone 184.

Follow Ups: