Re: Re: Re: Is Union membership helpful?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on May 15, 2002 at 22:54:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Is Union membership helpful? posted by Arnold S. Gottlieb on May 15, 2002 at 21:14:08:

I was a union member and had "tenure" in a minor-league symphony orchestra which decided to hire a new well-known conductor. This conductor announced before coming in that he would not eliminate or replace any orchestra members. Well, folks, it turned out there was just one exception to that promise; he wanted to bring in a new hot-shot tuba player and I was out. The union didn't lift a finger for me. Two years later hotshot #1 left town, and hotshot #2 (also from out of town) got the chair. Two years later he left town and they didn't even announce auditions; they just brought in hotshot #3, who has been there for about 25 years now. Where was the union?
Back about that same time my jazz band brought in Teddy Wilson (from out of town) for a concert. The union business agent showed up with his big cigar and actually attempted to stop the concert before it even began.
Of COURSE you need to join, so you can associate with the finest musicians, like them.

Follow Ups: