Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Air Force bands on May 16, 2002 at 17:26:15:

In Reply to: Military Bands posted by Matt A. on May 13, 2002 at 18:48:22:

The following answers only deal with the Air Force Bands program.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the various branches of the military bands?

The Air Force Bands Program does NOT have a music school after basic training.
After basic you report to your band and start playing your horn.
The AF does not move people around very much
You are considered a musician first, that is what you were hired to do. Yea, you'll have to do some other stuff to help out the band, like load instruments set up chairs for concerts, etc...

When are you made aware of your post? Is it before Basic Training, before the School of Music or after all of it?

If you are accepted after your audition, you are given a letter stated that you have a job in an Air Force band and it states which band you would be in. You take this letter to the recruiter and all he/she has to do is enlist you, because you already have a job slot waiting for you.

I was reading a brochure from the Army Bands saying that basic training is 9 weeks and then the School of Music is 24 weeks. Is this the same with each branch?
Air Force Basic is 6 weeks it is in San Antonio, Tx.

Does basic training differ between the branches?
Air Force basic is considered the easiest, but you still will hate it.

Do we get a special wimpy-basic training? Are the musicians grouped together at basic?

You go through the same training as everyone else but, all of the musicians are grouped together. This is done because all of the musicians will be in a Trainee Drum and Bugles Corps. It is not great music but at least you get a mouthpiece to your face.

Is there a better time in the year to enlist?
No.
Best time to go though Basic in San Antonio would be late Sept early Oct or right after New Years till April. Reason why is because of the weather in SA, it can get very humid and hot . Plus you don't want to spend Xmas in Basic

Do you get any say in where you are posted after training and school?

Yes, after you are offered the job, most of the time you are auditioing at a band that has your instrument vacancy. You also can audition at a band that is near you, for a band that may be across the nation. (ie audition in California for a vacancy in Boston)

The AF does offer college loan repayment up to $10,000

I think that about does it. I appreciate any question answered.

I hope I answered most of the questions that I have read through these postings. The AF will provide you with instruments, books, mouthpieces, private lessons and $$ to go to Conventions. You can make a good living doing this. You have access to all of the military's rereational items (like gyms, shopping, vacation locations) Plus you can retire after 20 years and recieve a pension for the fest of your life

Think about it,
If you have any questions email me,
SMSgt Albert Islas
Tubist, U. S. Air Force Band, Washington DC

Follow Ups: