Re: Re: Re: Re: Dear I.T.E.A.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mouth on May 17, 2002 at 19:14:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Dear I.T.E.A. posted by You'll love this! on May 17, 2002 at 17:54:53:

I didn't mean to imply you were attacking Dr. AsKew, I just have seen other complaints about the conference in the past, it wasn't personal, or directed toward anyone specific. I also did not mean to imply that you yourself are at fault in any way. I agree that when you pay dues and make donations you are entitled to your opinion. I also think it's true that the founders probably are not thrilled with so much negative publicity the organization is getting.

As far as positives, I feel there are many. I myself think the journal is helpful (I know many don't, but I am an academic I guess). I like seeing the research others are doing, and what people are performing on recitals, etc. I think another positive is that there is an attempt to make some changes in the organization itself. I agree that maybe meeting once a year at the conference is not going to represent the majority of the organization, but I think there at least has been an attempt to include members. I also think that people on the board probably are doing what they feel would be best for the majority.

And lastly about the conference... I can only speak for myself, but I really enjoy hearing professionals play, hearing their masterclasses and lectures, and just soaking up everything they have to teach. It's true that many people my age and younger are involved in competitions, ensembles, etc., but I still feel I can reap the benefits of attending without being listed in a program somewhere. I think we don't have to be involved in something at the conference to benefit, or to offer something in return.

I think you make some very valid points, I'm just clarifying what i've said. No offense intended...
*peace*

Follow Ups: