Re: Hirsbrunner Vs Nirschl Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on May 19, 2002 at 21:55:58:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner Vs Nirschl Tuba posted by Don on May 19, 2002 at 13:07:59:

I dreamed of owning a Hirsbrunner for a long time. I had tried both the HB-21 and the HB-2(P) and admired them both for their fine intonation, easy speaking characteristics, and even tone throughout the range. I thought that might be the ultimate horn for me, until...

...There was an opportunity to buy a used 4/4 Nirschl CC horn. I loved it immediately. Others who test-played it called it "a very special horn." What differentiates it from the Hirsbrunner is that it has such warmth to its sound, whereas the Hirsbrunner seems much more "monochromatic." The ability to produce different "colors" on the Nirschl lends itself to greater possibilities of musical expression.

Both the Hirsbrunner and and the Nirschl are great horns. Make your own decision based upon how the horns sound to you--both with the bell directly over your head, and from a distance with someone else playing them for you--ideally in the same acoustic environment.

Follow Ups: