Re: Opinions of the Best F Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 21, 2002 at 15:47:14:

In Reply to: Opinions of the Best F Tuba? posted by Just curious... on May 20, 2002 at 21:20:55:

You didn't say what you intend to use it for. If it is for orchestral use in pieces like Berlioz and so on, then I agree with the recommendations for the B&S or Alexander, both of which have beautiful (but very different) sound. On the other hand, both are difficult to handle below the staff. The Miraphone is my favorite rotary F tuba of those that I have tried. It plays pretty well in the low register, and has a lovely sound that I would be happy to hear in an orchestra. I have not tried the Rudy that Lee loves, though I hope to someday.

For a true small F tuba sound, the Yamaha 621 does well, and it plays beautifully down low. But it is a more present, less ethereal sound that you may not prefer. It responds like a contrabass but sounds like an F, making it a good choice for someone of limited skill.

I also greatly admire the Willson, though it seems like a contrabass more than an F. And it's expensive (you did say cost is a factor). The Yamaha 822 also plays like a contrabass, but I don't like the sound as much as the smaller Yamaha. Both have great low registers without any of the fuzziness typical of rotary F's.

The Meinl-Weston was a good compromise of all these features, it seemed to me, but not the best at any of them. It's not too expensive, either.

All of these can be played beautifully by great players, and can sound like junk when I play them. But you knew that already.

Rick "who would probably choose the Miraphone if he wanted an orchestral F" Denney

Follow Ups: