Re: Re: 20J induced backache

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2002 at 16:10:16:

In Reply to: Re: 20J induced backache posted by Greg Crider on May 22, 2002 at 13:55:14:

I don't do the chair-rest thing. Back when I did, I slid the horn off the front edge of the chair by accident a couple of times, nearly removing the front half of my face in the process. Plus, the size of the bottom bow would consume, um, more space on the chair than is, ah, conveniently available.

Yes, it has a flat third partial, and I was working on that during last night's rehearsal. My efforts were apparently successful enough to prevent complaints from qualifed ears in the vicinity. For me at present, the second partial is sharp in relation to the fourth, too. In general, I think my ears are at least partly to blame--I have these tendencies on other instruments as well. Right now, I'm using the mouthpiece that I use on F tuba, which is an Elliott 132-2N R4. That makes it about the size of a Conn Helleberg, but with a slightly larger rim. Now that I have the officially correct bits, other mouthpieces will hopefully fit well enough to try. (My real Helleberg is loose in the receiver without a bit.)

I don't have enough experience with it yet to determine if the scale is or is not uniformly resonant, especially when listening out front. I can feel the tactile vibration of the brass noticeably on some notes (low C comes to mind), but I'm not sure this effect is audible. I haven't recorded myself playing the instrument yet.

The forward bell is probably part of the balance problem. It's direction must affect that balance point.

Rick "still experimenting but not wanting to reinvent the wheel" Denney

Follow Ups: