Re: Tuba cleaning (was nick in slide tubing)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Floyd on May 22, 2002 at 22:33:04:

In Reply to: Tuba cleaning (was nick in slide tubing) posted by Mike Sherline on May 22, 2002 at 17:33:46:

The link for "H.W. Padsaver" is http://www.padsaver.com/ without the "s" after padsaver. I went back to the earlier post and the link was there for me. Not sure what the problem was for you Mike.

When you click on Brass products and then "baritone, tuba" another window opens on my computer. It's very small and you either have to 'maximize' it or resize it to see the picture of the product (a brush or snake being pulled through tubing). The picture is not great in detail. It does not show that the brush is in a 'spring-like' design so that it can fit in smaller spaces as it's being pulled through and expand as necessary. I would have never ordered this for myself just by seeing some pictures on the web. This product was recommended to me by the technician that cleaned out my horn a year or so ago at "Brass 'n Reed" in Daytona Beach, FL. He said that the phosphoric acid that he uses for acid cleaning horns is only part of the cleaning process -- the other part is the use of special brushes. Back then H.W. Padsaver only made the trumpet set of BrassSaver. Since then they've added baritone (euph), tuba, and trombone set.

You're right about not being able to order through their web site. But you can email them at the address given under the 'contact' link and ask for information. They should give you a phone number or a way to order through a local store.

I'm not sure about the 'boresnake' that is used for cleaning guns. As long as there is nothing that could scratch the brass inside the tubing it may work.

I'll try to remember to bring a "Brass Saver" set with me to ITEC. If anyone there is interested in seeing it, I'll be glad to show it to them. Again, I have no affiliation with H.W. Padsaver Inc. Just found a product that works well.

Rick Floyd

Follow Ups: