Re: Re: More Mirafone size comparison pixx...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 24, 2002 at 16:20:41:

In Reply to: Re: More Mirafone size comparison pixx... posted by ED on May 24, 2002 at 15:02:42:

A 190 is a true kaiserbass, and as such is a bit of a specialty instrument. I tried one once and I remember putting it down and saying, "I wonder what I'd use that for." It seemed to me a lot of work, bit it will throw a lot of sound out there. I don't know whether the one I tried at the big-throated or small-throated bell.

The 191 is not on the same planet. It is a large instrument, but it is wrapped compactly. The short, fat bell gives it a tone that has more traditional American characteristics than a 186 does. If you liked the King less than a Yamaha 321, and both less than a 186, then you might not like the direction that the 191 goes, depending on how good your King is. But you can tell only by trying it out. It is about as open and free-blowing a BBb tuba as exists on the present market.

191's are far easier to get than 190's. If you were interested in a kaiserbass of the 190 size, and had 191 money to spend, you might also consider a Rudy Meinl 5/4 tuba. I liked the one I tried MUCH better than the 190 (though it has been many years since I played the big Miraphone). For much less money, the Cerveny 601 is in the same class of instrument.

Rick "who likes 186's as well" Denney

Follow Ups: