Re: Re: Re: Re: 186 BBb vs CC centering/agility

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on May 29, 2002 at 09:13:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 186 BBb vs CC centering/agility posted by Klaus on May 28, 2002 at 17:56:30:

Thanks for the info, Klaus. I've been thinking about replacing the S linkages with the new ball ones. The CC '186 I played the other night at rehearsal had them and they seem much quieter and quicker, but that is probably pure subjectivity with me.
I haven't noticed a problem with the rotors themselves not being reasonably fast, except for once when I had flushed them out with water and used a snake on the tubing that I'd gotten from the local music store. The 4th valve got sticky on me at the next rehearsal, but a dose of valve oil from one of my tuba colleagues who's also an instrument repairman freed it up right away and I've had no trouble since.
I've only had this horn for about 6 months, so my history with it isn't that long. I don't find it as inviting as the 25J from my college days long ago, but I suspect memory is being kinder than the 25J deserves. That tuba, however, was a brnad new horn when I was playing it and that does make a difference.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease about your earlier comments about abandoning the project if the valves leak. I hadn't read the entire thread of that conversation, so I didn't realize that you were talking about pistons.
I'll be interested to see what Lee says about the overall state of the horn. I'd like to emerge with a good, playable horn that'll last me for a number of years, since a new one (or even a used one of more recent vintage) represents a sizable outlay of cash that is needed for a fair number of other things such as placing some very old family cars and paying college tuition.
The tubing issue you mentioned raises some troubled thoughts. On the whole, there isn't much denting anywhere, but there are a few pinpoint-sized corrosion areas that make me wonder if one or two of them haven't broken through. I haven't seen a leak, but then I haven't put water in it yet to check. We'll have to see.
Thanks!

Follow Ups: