Re: Re: Reynolds Dr Young mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on May 30, 2002 at 07:46:47:

In Reply to: Re: Reynolds Dr Young mouthpiece posted by Rick Denney on May 28, 2002 at 11:36:08:

Thousands of Reynolds Dr. Young mouthpiece was sold in the 1950's and early 60's. I called for an accounting as I was not getting the proper amount of royalties ($1.25) on each mouthpiece. At that point Heinrich Roth (may he RIP)lost the mandrels and went out of production. That mouthpiece had too deep a cup for most of the European and small American tubas played by greats such as Harvey Philips et al. I had my technician make a plastic one of more suitable dimensions. Each was special made. Only a handfull exist. They were also made for Eb tubas and euphoniums. The euphonium version predates the Steven Meade mouthpieces and is just about the same. They were also so specially made. My technician retired and I can no longer get him to make mouthpieces during his lunch hour at the Westinghouse Research Lab. In fact the lab no longer exists and the whole place was sold to Krogers Super Market!

More recently I had about 25 silver plated brass copies of the plastic ones made and I sell them for $60 each. This just covers the cost of manufacture and shipping. They can be obtained from me at 800 Minard Run Road, Bradford, PA.

Follow Ups: