old horns found

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on May 02, 2003 at 16:32:53:

Howdy,
My wife just found (unearthed is more like it) a bevy of old brasses in a stroe room at her college (Albright College in Reading, PA), including a small Eb tuba (Nuss brand from Harrisburg), two old baritone horns, an Eb peck horn and an F mellophone (the old round kind shaped like a small french horn). They look complete and in good condition, hardly any dents. But, they are in need of a good cleaning since the silver is badly tarnished. My guess is these horns date form the early 1900's. Two have the old style valve caps with the cork around the hole.

My question is: Are they worth anything? and if so how much?
I would not think they are really worth anything from a playing stand point, but might make nice decorations or collectibles. Unless someone is really into old instruments. The baritones if cleaned up might actually make decent beginner horns if they play OK, since they are small and light weight. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I do not think they are really old enough to be valuablel antiques say as if they were from the Civil War era.
ken k

Follow Ups: