Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 03, 2003 at 13:11:23:

In Reply to: too many ? posted by js on May 03, 2003 at 01:12:11:

Are there too many tuba professors?

I don't think so. In fact, I can't name *any* "tuba professors"

Joe continues to confuse the questions of training, education, and other aspects of being a "professor".

A "professor" is not usually engaged full time in the profession that he "professes". The job has other duties, and requires other training (usually, but not always *in addition to* whatever training he may have in the field).

Employees of a University who *only* teach are called "instructors".

Employess of a University who *only* practice their profession are called "staff".

Professors do both of these things - AND MORE.

That "AND MORE" requires training. That training usually (not always) leads to an advanced degree.

If you want your youngster to receive instruction in how to play an instrument, send her to the local music store and look at the business cards stapled to the bulletin board. Call the local symphony and ask if their players give private lessons. There is no need to send her to "college" in order to apprentice at a trade.

If your local Music School survives exclusively by giving lessons in how to play the instrument, then by all means they should hire a large number of "instructors". A year-to-year contract sounds appropriate. I would sincerely wonder why any parent or taxpayer should support such an institution.

I begin to suspect that if Joe had any inkling of what a University actually does, and stands for, he might decide that he can't see any reason why any parent or taxpayer should support them. A reasonable point of view (but not one I share).

Personally, I wish there were a few more Professors of Music who happened to be skilled tuba players (and instructors). But, I doubt that anyone competent to hold the job would be happy with the title "Tuba Professor".

Follow Ups: