Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 04, 2003 at 00:58:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU? posted by Mark F. on May 03, 2003 at 23:43:47:

"Current students at SMU, don't get your shorts in a wad at this, but don't think that future employers are going to be impressed when you mention that you have a music degree from SMU."

I wouldn't expect any employer in any discipline to be immediately impressed with any potential employee demonstrating that they had a degree from any particular school. Unless a potential employer is an imbecile, they will very extensively evaluate the individual and not so much their "breeding".

The individual faculty and students of any institution of learning vary as much in quality as do next-door neighbors. Though I won't try to conjecture as to their motivation, your statements in are startling transparently biased, and could only be correct about individual persons in individual years or semesters. Surely, your opinions are based more on specific observations that you deemed very negative, rather than a careful survey of facts over decades of time - even though you are from the area. Just like you, I hold biases against schools in my local area - mainly due to the fact that I'm "too close" and "know too much" about them.

Joe "who has walked through some mightily snazzy-reputationed music conservatories across the country and heard some wierd sounds coming from tuba practice rooms - along with near-sublime sounds from other tuba practice rooms" S.

Follow Ups: