Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 04, 2003 at 01:11:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who got tuba studio spot at SMU? posted by different opinion on May 04, 2003 at 00:52:56:

To add more, I attended a student orchestra concert at SMU recently. I was expecting a "pretty good" concert that I could reasonably compliment with a degree of sincerity. Rather, I witnessed an absolutely outstanding concert from start to finish with superb playing in all sections and nearly two hours of dazzling soloists.

SMU has quite an endowment whereby extraordinarily gifted students are sometimes invited (with no consideration of family wealth - whether considerable or non-existent) to study tuition-free with a stipend to help cover living expenses. However, this alone cannot attract outstanding students without the far more important attraction of outstanding instruction (again, Dallas Symphony musicians) being offered as well.

SMU graduate James Box (formerly known in his childhood as "Jamie") is a life-long (since Jr. High) customer of mine and an extraordinarily fine player leading the trombone section of the Montreal Symphony.

Follow Ups: